Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hello, world!

I checked my stats today, and I have pageviews from all over the world. Places I could only dream of seeing, places that I hear about in AP Human Geography. So I'll say something long-delayed to everyone reading in the US and beyond: Hello there! Welcome to the inside of my mind. It can be easy to get lost in here, but not to fear. Overall, it's a confusing but happy place.

It's amazing to me how simple it is, and I was born into the Internet. This is especially apparent to me on deviantART, where I've been a member for approximately nine months. After somewhat establishing myself as a fanfiction author and occasional artist in the more conventional sense, there are three users that I favor. None of them live in my home country. One of them is a very articulate and polite teenager from the UK, one of them is an up-and-coming deviant from Bulgaria, and one of them is a very nice and bright girl from Vietnam who I always enjoy communicating with.
Well, there's actually four, and one of them lives here in the States...but I'm trying to make a point.

We talk about this globalization phenomenon all the time at school; we are geared towards international studies, after all. But actually experiencing it and being caught up in its tides is an altogether different feeling. It's alienating knowing that we are living in the middle of history, that it is being made every day, even when something exciting or shocking isn't happening, and we continue on as though the day was exactly what it felt like--normal. I learned that there is no real normal, only what we perceive to be normal. It's relative, like time. It bends and shifts in individual cases. And our feeble attempts to track it, to change the other normals to be more like ours are almost always fruitless. How human of us, trying to actually make a universal normal.

And even within normals, things are fluid and change over time. That's how we adjust to our age, situation, environment, and everything else. But I think I'll call it here on the thoughts tonight. Wouldn't want to scare the guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment